Residential Solid Waste Collection
SOLID WASTE COLLECTION for the Town of Duck is provided by Waste Management, Inc. Solid Waste should be put in existing BLACK AND BROWN waste containers.
Collection days are as follows:
- May 1st through September 30th; Mondays & Fridays (twice per week).
- October 1st through April 30th; Mondays (once per week).
Please note the 2017 holiday scheduling:
Week of Memorial Day – Monday, May 29, 2017 – No Collection.
Collection to occur: Tuesday, May 30, 2017.
Week of Independence Day – Monday, July 3, 2017 – Collection will occur.
Week of Labor Day – Monday, September 4, 2017 – No Collection.
Collection to occur: Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
Items To Remember
- Rental properties are required to have a minimum of two (2) approved solid waste containers.
- To avoid missed residential collections, individuals are advised to place the solid waste container at the curbside the night prior or on the day of collection no later than 5:30 a.m.
- Position the waste container with the opening towards the street, within three (3) feet of the road.
- A three to four (3-4) foot clearance should be maintained between waste containers to ensure that collection equipment has access to the container(s).
- Do not place construction debris, rocks, dirt, shingles, or concrete in your waste container, as these materials are too heavy to be lifted by the collection equipment.
- Health and safety hazards may occur if containers are overflowing and rubbish exceeds the container capacity. Please do not overload.
- Do not leave any trash outside of the waste container or it will not be collected.
- Once trash has been collected, the waste container must be relocated from the street to under or alongside the house no later than 12:00 midnight on the day of collection.
REPORT MISSED COLLECTIONS OR REQUEST REPLACEMENT CANS
If your trash pick-up was missed on your regular collection day, you should contact the Town Office immediately at (252) 255-1234. Reports of missed collections must be received the same service day by 10:00 a.m. or service may not be available until the next scheduled pick-up. Please note that rental properties are required to have a minimum of two (2) solid waste containers.
The Town of Duck has 200 solid waste replacement cans available each year. Cans are eligible for replacement only if there is functional damage to the can, not for foul odor, age or damage that is not causing an issue with the can (such as a crack in the can or top). Each property owner/resident may have one replacement can per year, assuming the damage on the can allows it to be eligible for replacement. Missing trash cans will be eligible for replacement if it is the property owner/resident’s first can for the year. If you have had a replacement and another can goes missing, you will need to purchase an additional can from Waste Management.
Newly completed homes will be eligible for one free can. This does not include redeveloped properties. Rental properties are required to have a minimum of two solid waste cans, so additional cans will need to be purchased from Waste Management prior to your final inspection.
To request a replacement can, please take a picture of the damage to the can to be replaced and send that picture to firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of what is wrong with the can, the address where the can is located, your name, and a phone number where you may be reached. Once we receive your written request, we will acknowledge and advise whether the can is eligible for replacement. Trash cans are delivered/replaced on Wednesday mornings and must be curbside for replacement the evening before.
To purchase additional cans from Waste Management, please call 855-964-2845. You will need to reference a town wide account number: 425-26029. If you have any difficulties ordering extra cans, please contact the Town Office at 252-255-1234 and we will be glad to assist you.