Recycling Drop-Off Point
The Town of Duck does not have a drop off location for recycling for residents or visitors since the Town offers curbside recycling service. There is a recycling drop off center in Kitty Hawk that is managed by Dare County where certain types of recyclables may be taken. Information on this center follows.
Dare County/Kitty Hawk Recycling Center
Hours Of Operation
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to Noon
Closed Wednesdays, Sundays, and some Town holidays
- Brown, clear, and green glass containers (no other type glasses)
- #1 and # 2 plastic containers (no other type plastics such as bags, lawn chairs, etc.)
- Aluminum cans
- Steel cans
- Paper (includes mixed paper, newspaper, envelopes, magazines, six-pack bottle holders, etc.)
- Cardboard (broken down/flattened and dry)
- Appliances (Freon does not need to be removed – they will take care of it)
- Any metal items
- Electronics – including tube televisions
Please note: The Kitty Hawk Center site attendant will reject anything other than the household recyclable items listed above.
Items NOT Accepted at the Kitty Hawk Recycling Center
- Brush, Leaves & Lawn Clippings: Must be taken to the Dare Co. Public Works facility in Manteo or burned
- Chemicals: Contact manufacturer
- Commercial Debris: Must be taken to the Dare Co. Landfill in Manns Harbor
- Hazardous Materials
- Hot Tubs & Covers: Must be taken to the Dare Co. landfill
- Mattresses:Must be taken to the Dare Co. landfill
- Paint:Dry out and dispose in regular household garbage
- Regular Household Garbage
- Styrofoam: Dispose in regular household garbage
Turn west on West Kitty Hawk Road, across from Kitty Hawk Post office (approx. 4 milepost);
Follow West Kitty Hawk Road; turn left on Bob Perry Road (small brown sign with “RECYCLE” and an arrow pointing left on shoulder of roadway);
Stay on Bob Perry Road, recycle center on right (along with public boat ramp, picnic area etc.).