The Town and Dare County offer various ways to dispose of bulk waste. Click the links below to learn more.
Semi-Annual Bulk Waste Collection
Spring 2022 Bulk Waste Curbside Collection scheduled for Friday, April 22, 2022
Fall 2022 Bulk Waste Curbside Collection scheduled for Friday, October 14, 2022
The Town of Duck schedules two (2) free bulk waste collections each year. Collections are provided by Waste Management, Inc.
- In an effort to improve bulk waste collection, the Town is utilizing an electronic bulk waste request form. Please have your items out and submit this form by Wednesday, October 12 at 2 p.m.
- Bulk waste can include all large items including televisions, mattresses, and yard/vegetative debris.
- Yard and vegetative debris must be bagged or CLEARLY tied into bundles of four (4) foot lengths or less weighing NO MORE than 50 pounds each. Waste Management does not use a truck with a mechanical arm and, therefore, the bundle MUST be manageable for a single person to handle.
- Vegetative debris left in piles WILL NOT be collected. See below for examples:
These materials will NOT be collected:
- refrigerators or appliances that contain hazardous waste (refrigerant/Freon)
- hazardous materials such as paints, solvents, chemicals, etc. (dry out paint and place in regular trash)
- building materials or demolition debris
- roofing, soil, rocks, concrete, and stumps
Drop Off Permits for Bulk Waste Throughout The Year
Residents and property owners within the Town of Duck may now obtain a Bulk Waste Permit necessary to dispose of bulk items at the bulk waste dumpster at the Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Center located at 4190 Bob Perry Road in Kitty Hawk. Residents and property owners in Duck may drop off the following large items and minor residential debris after obtaining a permit from the Town of Duck.
Items must be self-generated, i.e. not contractor-generated, and may include furniture, scrap lumber, siding, dry wall, junk, glass, carpets, etc. but not vegetative debris.
Residents and property owners wishing to use this service must first obtain a permit at the Duck Town Hall confirming that they are residents or property owners in Duck.
- There is no charge for this permit and each issued permit is good for one trip and up to one-half pick-up truck load of bulk waste.
- The center is open 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. until noon.
- For more information, or to request a Bulk Waste Permit, call 252-255-1234.
The following Items WILL NOT BE Accepted at the Kitty Hawk Recycling Center:
- Brush, Leaves & Lawn Clippings: Must be taken to the Dare Co. Public Works facility in Manteo or burned
- Chemicals: Contact manufacturer
- Commercial Debris: Must be taken to the Dare Co. Landfill in Manns Harbor
- Hazardous Materials
- Hot Tubs & Covers: Must be taken to the Dare Co. landfill
- Mattresses: Must be taken to the Dare Co. landfill
- Paint: Dry out and dispose in regular household garbage
- Regular Household Garbage
- Styrofoam: Dispose in regular household garbage
The following items WILL BE accepted at the Kitty Hawk Recycling Center without the need to obtain a Bulk Waste Permit from the Town of Duck:
- Brown, clear, and green glass containers (no other type glasses)
- #1 and # 2 plastic containers (no other type plastics such as bags, lawn chairs, etc.)
- Aluminum cans
- Steel cans
- Paper (includes mixed paper, newspaper, envelopes, magazines, six-pack bottle holders, etc.)
- Cardboard (broken down/flattened and dry)
- Appliances (Freon does not need to be removed)
- Any metal items
- Electronics – including tube televisions
Schedule a Bulk Waste Special Collection with Waste Management
Call Waste Management to schedule a regular Bulk Waste pick-up at 855-964-2845. There is a $100 fee for the first item, and $25 for each additional item. When calling, please reference account number 425-26599.
Dare County Services
Residential yard debris can be taken to Manteo (limited volume 4×8 truck/no more than 2 trips per week). Please view their website for a complete list of rules.
Other items, such as mattresses, vegetative debris greater than described above, or construction debris can be taken to Manns Harbor Rubble Transfer station. The first 500 lbs for residential customers is free, and the rest is prorated at $65/ton.