Town events such as our concerts, amphitheater shows, and fitness classes contribute to what makes Duck a desirable community. We pride ourselves on the use of local, regional, and national talent as well as partnerships with the local businesses to bring quality shows free of charge to our residents and visitors. We are excited to start bringing back many of these in person events during the summer, many of which will be available to stream live if you are unable to join us in person.
Don’t forget the Town Park and Boardwalk are still wide open for you to responsibly enjoy while social distancing and Duck businesses and restaurants are open and ready to welcome you.
See below for some virtual events and activities that we have planned so far! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to get the most up to date information and schedule changes!
Fitness Classes in person and on Facebook Live– Our popular fitness classes are returning to the Town Green for the 2021 season. For the first time, these classes will also be streamed on Facebook Live. Join us on the Town of Duck Facebook page weekly from wherever you are!
- Yoga– Tuesday mornings at 7:30 am with Village Yoga and sponsored by Village Realty. This is a great gentle beginner class for all.
- Dynamic Flow– Wednesday mornings at 7:30 am with Move Unbound and OBX Fitness Collective sponsored by Zen & Zip here in Duck. This is a playful and fun introductory class to movement. Great for all ages!
Videos of the classes will be available on the Town of Duck Facebook page after the class if you are unable to join us live.
Bingo– Each Monday we will post bingo sheets with different themes and levels of difficulty. Take pictures as you go around checking off the sheet. Let us know you found BINGO by tagging us with #DuckBingo in a pic of the completed bingo sheet by Thursday at midnight and be entered to win some fun Duck prizes. If you have a private account, please email the pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Geocaching– This is a great activity to not only explore the Town of Duck, but also do it while socially distancing! Geocaching is one recreational activity that combines getting outside with physical and mental exercise. . Here in Duck there are currently 36 geocaches hidden with 31 of them are arranged in what is called a geo-art pattern. Those 31 do not show up on a map in their physical location but are instead arranged in the shape of a duck superimposed over the town of Duck. Although COVID_19 restrictions have slowed the numbers this year about 100 people visit Duck annually to complete the duck geo-art pattern since it was put in place at the end of 2016. Download the Geocaching app or use a GPS device to take part in a Town of Duck treasure hunt!
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:
1. Register for a free Basic Membership at https://www.geocaching.com/
2. Visit the “Hide & Seek a Cache” page.
3. Enter your postal code and click “search.”
4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
Most Duck geocaches are located along the multi-use path and hidden or camouflaged so as to blend in with the environment to avoid detection by non-game participants. A couple are on private property of homes where the owners gave permission for placement.
A big thank you goes out to Outer Banks local Philip Ruckle for setting geocache locations around town.