Resilient Coastal Communities Program
In 2021, Duck was chosen as one of many communities to participate in the NC Division of Coastal Management’s (DCM) Resilient Coastal Communities Program (RCCP). This new program addresses the need to advance coastal resilience for over 20 coastal counties in North Carolina. This program provides funding and technical assistance to Duck for developing resilience strategies and associated project engineering, design, and implementation, and incentivizes innovative solutions (natural and nature-based).
The overall goal of the RCCP is to involve the community in setting coastal resilience goals, assessing the existing conditions and needed capacity, and identifying and prioritizing projects that will enhance Duck’s resilience and response to coastal hazards. This process will eventually result in a Resilience Strategy for the Town of Duck.
The RCCP is broken down into four phases, shown below:
The Town has undertaken numerous planning efforts that will aid this process:
- Comprehensive and Land Use Plan – 2021
- Outer Banks Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan – Summer 2020
- Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance – 2020
- Duck Infrastructure Vulnerability Assessment 2020
The project team has been building a foundation for the Resilience Strategy through these Town planning efforts. The Town is well on its way through Phase 2 of this program – Planning, Project Identification, & Prioritization. The project schedule is subject to change, but it is expected that Phase 2 will be complete in Spring/Summer 2022 and move into Phase 3 in the Summer of 2022.
Ways to Stay Involved
- Check out the Town’s resilience project matrix, with descriptions of needed projects identified through the planning efforts listed above. We will post a short survey soon where you can rank these projects by importance to you.
- View the Interactive Critical Infrastructure & Hazards Map to learn more about how various natural hazards are projected to affect Duck.
- Provide input via survey on this website April 11 through April 24, 2022 to let us know if we’ve identified all of the critical infrastructure in Duck and to share your resilience project priorities. References that may help with the survey can be found in items 1 and 2 above.
We will have a table at the 20th Anniversary of Duck Community Celebration – May 1, 2022 from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm with maps, survey results, and more information. A presentation will be made to the Town Council on May 4, 2022.
The project team will primarily use this website and the town E-news releases to let members of the community know about project updates and ways they can provide input and participate in the planning process.
Project Related Materials
- Interactive Critical Infrastructure & Hazards Map
- Town of Duck RCCP Project Matrix
- Currituck Sound Coalition Presentation 10-28-21
- Town of Duck Council Retreat Presentation 02-16-22
- RCCP Planning Handbook
- RCCP Flyer
- RCCP Flyer (Spanish)
- FY2020-2021 RCCP Community Application – Duck
The project’s core team includes town staff who are managing the program and the consultant team. For questions or for more information, contact: