Experience Soundside Sunsets in Duck!
There are three public sound access points within The Town of Duck. One is at the Duck Town Park where a kayak/canoe launch is available for the launching of kayaks and canoes and other non-motorized items. It should not be used to enter the Currituck Sound for any other purpose or to dock any motorized watercraft. There are two day-use public boat piers (four slips each) in the Currituck Sound located at the north and south ends of the Town Boardwalk. These boat slips are designed for temporary mooring. They are not designed for the launching of motorized watercraft. These boat piers are not to be used for fishing, crabbing, or entering the sound for any other purpose. Please refer to the map below (click map to enlarge).
There is no public soundside beach or other public sound access within the Town limits. A few of the water sports shops along the sound have private access and rent numerous types of non-motorized and motorized watercraft in which to enjoy the Currituck Sound.
Nearby public motorized boat ramps which are not within the Town of Duck include: Bay Drive/Dock Street in Kill Devil Hills; Bob Perry Road/Kitty Hawk Bay in Kitty Hawk; The Whalehead Club in Corolla; and at the Harbinger Public Park in Harbinger. Please click here for more information on Outer Banks public boat ramps.
- There are no public launch points within the Town of Duck for motorized personal watercraft. However, several local businesses offer watercraft for rent. Click here for more information on the location of public boat ramps on the Outer Banks.
- Personal watercraft may be operated in the Currituck Sound between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Personal watercraft must go straight in or straight out when within 900 feet of the sound shoreline.
- Otherwise, personal watercraft may only be operated at least 900 feet from the shore.
- When within 100 feet of persons in the water, a personal watercraft may not cause a wake or exceed 5 mph in speed.
- Please obey all other right-of-way, speed limit, and other applicable rules.