Duck, NC—Businesses throughout Duck are coming together to kick-off the 5th Annual Duck Jazz Festival by hosting a variety of events throughout the week beginning Monday, October 3, 2011. Visitors and residents of Duck will find holiday open houses, shrimp and oyster roasts, live entertainment, wine tastings, and more; all leading up to the main event scheduled for Sunday, October 9, 2011 at 11:00 a.m. at the Duck Town Park.
The following are the events that are currently scheduled throughout Duck:
Please plan to attend any, or all, of these great events. Thank you so very much to our Duck businesses and restaurants for helping to sponsor and host the following. Remember, all events, promotions, and performances are subject to change and are weather-dependent.
Monday, October 3
- Confetti Clothing Co.- 1171 Duck Rd. in the Scarborough Lane Shoppes will donate 25% of ALL purchases to The Outer Banks Community Foundation for the Outer Banks hurricane relief effort. (Oct. 2-9)
Thursday, October 6
- Special Live Concert – Scarborough Faire Shopping Village, 1177 Duck Road. From 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Mojo Collins with his band Triple Vision will be performing a Jazzy Blues concert in the courtyard Collins is a North Carolina Arts Council Fellowship for Songwriting Recipient. Come check out the music and the shops. The concert is free. Appetizers, wine and cocktails will be available for purchase at Elizabeth’s Café.
- Steal The Glass – Sweet T’s Coffee, Beer & Wine, 1211 Duck Road. Buy a pint of Sweet T’s featured brew and keep the glass.
Friday, October 7
- 12 Annual Holiday Open House – Urban Cottage, Scarborough Faire Shopping Village, 1177 Duck Road. This event will be held on Friday, October 7, 2011 and Saturday, October 8, 2011 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Refreshments and hors d’ouevres will be served throughout the day. Local artist Jesse McClary will be featured, as well as a trunk show by artist Glenda Payne.
- Shrimp & Beer Fest – Wee Winks Square, 1216 Duck Road in conjunction with Dockside-N-Duck Seafood Market and Sweet T’s Coffee, Beer & Wine. The event is scheduled from noon to 4:00 p.m. and will feature live entertainment by local bands. The concert is free; there will be a cost for the “Shrimp & Beer Feast”.
- Sip and Sample – Tommy’s Gourmet Market, 1242 Duck Road from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. Patrons can sample wines and microbrews, as well as various appetizers. This tasting is free.
- Latin Jazz – Coastal Cantina, 1240 Duck Road. Samplings of Chocolate and Wines. Scheduled for 4:40 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Live entertainment by Paul Rowlen Project.
- Porch Party – Sweet T’s, Coffee, Beer & Wine, 1211 Duck Road. Live entertainment is scheduled from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- Jazzy Sunset – The Blue Point, 1240 Duck Road in the Waterfront Shops. Live entertainment will be on the outside yard overlooking the Currituck Sound from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Duck Jazz Festival Co-Host Adrian Crutchfield will make a guest appearance. The concert is free. Hors d’oeuvres and drinks will be available to purchase at the outside bar. Reservations are required for patrons dining in.
- Sax in the City – Aqua Restaurant, 1177 Duck Road from 7:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. The Hound Dog Family Band will “Jazz” the house and Duck Jazz Festival Co-Host Adrian Crutchfield will make a guest appearance. The concert is free. Food and drinks will be available for purchase at the outside bar. Reservations are required for patrons dining in. A special wear your most scandalous, sexy “High Heeled Shoes” contest will be held on the deck at 10:30 p.m., $5 entry fee, with local celebrity judges Amity (from Islands by Amity), Laura Martier, and John Power. Great prizes will be awarded for the best “High Heeled Shoes”.
Saturday, October 8
- Jazzy Yappy Hour – Outer Barks, Scarborough Lane Shops, 1171 Duck Road. Scheduled from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
- 12th Annual Open House – Urban Cottage, Scarborough Faire Shopping Village, 1177 Duck Road. This event will be held on Friday, October 7, 2011 and Saturday, October 8, 2011 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Refreshments and hors d’ouevres will be served throughout the day. Local artist Jesse McClary will be featured, as well as a trunk show by artist Glenda Payne.
- Oyster Roast & Beer Tasting – Roadside Bar and Grill, 1193 Duck Road. The event, which will be held from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m., will be in the restaurant’s back parking lot featuring live music by Joe Mapp. A special guest appearance will be made by Duck Jazz Festival Co-Host Adrian Crutchfield. The music is free, although there will be a cost for the tasting. Parking will be available at the Duck Town Park’s northern parking lot only (by the playground) until 8:00 p.m.
- Jazz & Wine Tasting – Coastal Cantina, 1240 Duck Road. Sampling of 8 wines and appetizers for $20. Scheduled from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Live entertainment by Connected.
Sunday, October 9
- Art Show with Chili & Chowder – Scarborough Faire Shopping Village, 1177 Duck Road. An art show featuring local artist Brad Price will be held in the courtyard in front of Elizabeth’s Cafe from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Chili and clam chowder are complimentary; beverages will be available to purchase.
- Rocking After Hours – Coastal Cantina, 1240 Duck Road. FREE appetizers and $1.00 Coronitas. Scheduled from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Live entertainment by Ask Fester until 9:00 p.m.
The 5th Annual Duck Jazz Festival is on Sunday, October 9, 2011 at the Duck Town Park, 1200 Duck Road, Duck, North Carolina. The Duck Jazz Festival is free to the public and will be begin at 11:00 a.m., with gates set to open at 10:00 a.m.
This year’s Festival is co-hosted by Adrian Crutchfield. Other performers include TIZER featuring Chieli Minucci and Karen Briggs, Soul Rebels Brass Band, and The Kirsten Thien Band.