Return to Municipal Property Master Plan Advisory Committee Meetings Page
Return to Town of Duck HOME PAGE

TOWN OF DUCK

MUNICIPAL PROPERTY MASTER PLAN ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING

August 18, 2005

 

The Municipal Property Master Plan Advisory Committee for the Town of Duck convened at the Duck Municipal Offices at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 18, 2005.

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:  Chairman Paul Keller, Charlie Pratt, Donna Black, Town Manager and Town Clerk Christopher Layton and VHB Project Manager Chris Dewitt.

 

MEMBERS ABSENT: None.

 

OTHERS PRESENT:  Deputy Town Clerk Lori Kopec, Police Chief Dale Hamilton and Andra Parker of VHB.

 

OTHERS ABSENT:  None.

 

The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m.

 

Wendy Hoggins introduced herself to the Municipal Property Master Plan Advisory Committee as a new homeowner of Duck and as an audience member.  She stated she wished to learn as much as possible about the Town.  The Committee welcomed her to the meeting and introduced themselves to her.

 

Chairman Keller thanked Chris Dewitt and Town Manager Layton for all they have done and the route that things have taken.

 

APPROVAL OF JUNE 17, 2005 MINUTES

 

Donna Black moved to approve the June 17, 2005 minutes as presented.  Charlie Pratt seconded.

 

Motion approved 3-0.

 

PROGRESS REPORT

 

Chris Dewitt stated that since the last meeting, VHB has received the aerial base mapping, which allowed them to complete the field survey work.  He stated they met with the Corps of Engineers on the property for the wetland confirmation.  Structural engineering on the boardwalk has begun as well.

 

SURVEY AND BASE MAP

 

Chris Dewitt reviewed the survey and base map with the Committee, showing them the contour elevations, spot elevations, tree lines and wetland lines.  He stated that VHB has mailed in a version of the survey and base map to the Corps of Engineers to get a confirmation letter from them.

 

Town Manager Layton asked how the wetlands will be affected by the drainage study.  Chris Dewitt stated that he hopes to have more flexibility than originally thought.

 

Chairman Keller asked if the elevations would be left as is.  Chris Dewitt stated that the elevations could be filled, but it would be difficult to prove there isnít an alternative. 

 

Charlie Pratt asked how the elevations would affect building any structure on the park.  Town Manager Layton stated there would be concern regarding fill with the base flood elevation. 

 

Chairman Keller asked if there were any utility lines on the property.  Town Manager Layton stated he did not recall seeing any utility lines at the property.  Charlie Pratt stated he did not recall seeing anything above ground.  Town Manager Layton stated that when the Rodgers House was torn down, Dominion Power did not have to come out.  Chairman Keller asked if the abandoned trailer had power.  Police Chief Dale Hamilton stated that the trailer was set on the property and was never hooked up to any utilities.  Town Manager Layton asked Surf Rescue Director Mirek Dabrowski if he knew of any utility lines at the Rodgers house.  Administrative Assistant Sandy Cady stated there werenít any.   Police Chief Hamilton stated that he noticed above ground utility lines along the sound side of the property.

 

Chris Dewitt and the Committee discussed a more economic alternative to having a bridge over the wetlands on the property.

 

Town Manager Layton stated that on October 13, 2005, Alexander Krings from North Carolina State will be at the property to meet with Angie Kight of Coinjock Farms to identify the invasive species.

 

Charlie Pratt asked if boring results would be discussed.  Chris Dewitt stated that the boring work has not been done yet but geotechnical borings will be done in areas for parking and drive aisles as well as along the alignment of the boardwalk to determine what type of pilings and foundations will be needed.

 

WETLAND DELINEATION AND CONFIRMATION

 

Charlie Pratt asked if the Corps permits have been submitted.  Chris Dewitt stated that no permits have been submitted and the first process is confirmation of the wetland boundaries.  Permits will not be issued until the plans have been further advanced.

 

Chris Dewitt went on to review the wetland delineation with the Committee.

 

VISITOR/INFORMATION CENTER

 

Town Manager Layton stated that due to the razing of the Rodgers House, the new question would be alternative concepts to the reconstruction of the Rodgers House.  He asked the Committee for their thoughts.

 

Chairman Keller asked if a design is adopted, when would the budget allow for construction.  Town Manager Layton stated it would be in the 2008-2010 calendar year.  He stated that the Committee would prepare something to be included in the files for the year 2008 in order to get the construction started.  Chairman Keller asked if there was a disadvantage in delaying the project for another six (6) months.  Town Manager Layton stated that a complete engineering study would need to be done.  Chris Dewitt stated that the final design of the structure will have implications for location of the playground and alignment of the trails, therefore it would be important to move forward with the project.

 

Donna Black asked how much input would be needed from the Committee.  Town Manager Layton thought that the building would be approximately 1200 square foot, with the architect working on concepts for the Committee to choose from.  Chris Dewitt stated that the architect has enough information to get started on some concepts.

 

Chairman Keller asked if the Committee would need to provide the architect with functional requirements, both quality and quantity.  Town Manager Layton stated that the starting point would be the size of the property, which the architect will use along with guidelines and standards.  Chris Dewitt stated that the Committee needs to decide if they want to go down the replica path or a new structure path.  Town Manager Layton stated that the Committee has the initial concepts for a replica already.  He thought that the Committee could go from there.

 

Chairman Keller asked if the structure would be a single story.  Town Manager Layton stated that it would be a single story structure with storage above.

 

Charlie Pratt moved that the structure be restricted to one story with storage above and going forward with design alternatives.  Chairman Keller seconded.

 

Donna Black stated she is excited about the building.

 

Motion carried 3-0.

 

BOARDWALK AND BRIDGE

 

Chris Dewitt stated that the structural engineering has begun.  He asked the Committee if they wished to allow emergency vehicle access on the boardwalk.  He stated that this would make a large difference in engineering and cost of the structure.  He recommended that emergency access be provided to the boardwalk, but that ambulances would not be allowed on the boardwalk itself.  Donna Black stated that as long as there is access, there would be no need for ambulances on it.  Charlie Pratt asked if an ATV would be allowed on the boardwalk.  Mr. Dewitt thought they could, but would check into it.  Town Manager Layton guessed that ATVs are not needed on the boardwalk and didnít think it would be a good idea to have any motorized vehicles on the boardwalk.

 

Donna Black and Chairman Keller asked if there would be a path near Nags Head Hammocks.  Chris Dewitt had thought the Committee had done away with the path.  Town Manager Layton agreed. 

 

Town Manager Layton asked what the standard width would be for the paths and the boardwalk.  Mr. Dewitt stated that the paths could have a minimum of eight feet for pedestrian paths.  If bikers are included, it should be ten feet.  Chairman Keller stated that the more people on the path instead of the west side of Duck Road, the better. 

 

Charlie Pratt asked if bikers would be allowed on the boardwalk.  Town Manager Layton stated he was not comfortable with mixing pedestrians and bikers on the boardwalk.  He stated that bike racks could be strategically located so the bikers could lock their bikes up and walk the boardwalk.  Chris Dewitt suggested bike access on the entrance road, bike racks in the parking lot and paths for bikers.   Town Manager Layton stated that the Town is dealing with conflicts between pedestrians and bikers on the Duck Trail and he would not want to see it on the boardwalk.

 

Chairman Keller asked if there are any grant restrictions that would impact the design of the boardwalk.  Chris Dewitt stated there werenít any.

 

Donna Black asked if a hydrant could be run to the public parking area.  Town Manager Layton stated that anything could be done.

 

Chairman Keller asked if the bridge would be re-routed.  Town Manager Layton stated that the bridge should be re-routed.  It was consensus of the Committee to re-route the bridge.

 

Town Manager Layton asked Chris Dewitt how he wanted to go about discussing the layout and design of the trail.  Chris Dewitt stated the best way would be to have the Committee go out on-site.  Town Manager Layton stated that it could be done at the next meeting.

 

Charlie Pratt asked if a bridge would be needed.  Chris Dewitt stated by re-routing it, it would be taken off the concept.

 

MASTER PLAN SIGN

 

Town Manager Layton stated that the existing signs at the property are outdated.  He discussed with Chris Dewitt the possibility of replacing the signs with a conceptual plan sign.  He stated that Mr. Dewitt had contacted a company that could do such with two signs erected on the property Ė one where the Rodgers House used to be and the other at the Herronís Restaurant overflow parking.  The signs would give the public an idea of what will be done on the property.  Chairman Keller stated that it was a great idea.

 

Chris Dewitt stated the signs would be 24x36 and would be weather proof and put on the site.

 

Chairman Keller asked if the sign would show that the Rodgers House is no longer there.  Town Manager Layton stated that it would not be an existing condition sign, but would show an interpretative area.

 

Charlie Pratt asked if the sign would show proposed features.  Town Manager Layton showed the Committee what the sign would look like.

 

It was consensus of the Committee that the sign looked good, but felt that the maritime forest should be included in the sign.  Town Manager Layton stated that as the project moves ahead, when the interpretative signage is discussed, signage could include the maritime forest.

 

Donna Black felt that a northern connection is needed on the property instead of the boardwalk just stopping.  Charlie Pratt agreed.  Town Manager Layton asked if a concept could be put in having the boardwalk coming down the northern end.  Chris Dewitt stated he would.  Town Manager Layton stated he didnít see any need to have it at that end.

 

TOURISM BOARD GRANT APPLICATION

 

Town Manager Layton stated that the Tourism Board is requesting applications for funding under their short-term restrictive funding program.  He stated that funding that is submitted by September 30, 2005 will be available for next year.  He stated that the things that are anticipated to start building by Spring 2006 will not receive the funding.  But the things for the next fiscal year, such as the boardwalk, could receive funding.  He stated he would like to submit a grant application, but wanted input from the Committee as to what items are appropriate to go after.  He stated that the Tourism Board will not fund preparing the land for construction.  He stated that the picnic shelter and playground may be considered.  He stated itís a 50/50 match.

 

Donna Black asked if it has to be spelled out specifically what the money would be used for.  Town Manager Layton stated it would, with the more information provided, the better.

 

Donna Black asked if the picnic shelter would be a good bet, or should the Town go after funding for the boardwalk.  Town Manager Layton stated that the criteria the Tourism Board looks at is that it has to be a capital item that the Town would not fund without the Tourism Boardís help.

 

Chairman Keller asked if the Town would be looking for other grants for the boardwalk.  Town Manager Layton stated that there are a couple that the Town could go for, but there is not a whole lot out there. 

 

Chairman Keller suggested putting the boardwalk, playground and picnic shelter in for the grant from the Tourism Board.  Donna Black agreed.

 

Donna Black moved to direct Town Manager Layton and Chris Dewitt to put in a grant application for the boardwalk, picnic shelter and playground.  Charlie Pratt seconded.

 

Town Manager Layton stated he would bring the grant application to Council at their September meeting to approve the submission of the application.

 

Motion carried 3-0.

 

NEXT STEPS

 

Chris Dewitt stated that the design criteria will be worked on and brought back to the Committee.  The geotechnical work and soil borings will be scheduled shortly.  He has to get some questions answered regarding load bearings on the boardwalk.  He stated that he will talk to the architect regarding architectural concepts for an alternative structure for the Rodgers House.  He stated that the Committee needs to think about potential dates for a Fall site visit.  Town Manager Layton asked if October 13, 2005 would work.  Chris Dewitt felt it would be fine.  Chairman Keller agreed.  Donna Black stated she would need to check her schedule.

 

Chairman Keller stated he would like to see the community get involved with the property in some way.  He suggested a drive to help build the gazebo.  Town Manager Layton stated he would not be opposed to a drive.  He suggested contacting the DCBA to get them involved. He also stated that if he can hire a part time Special Events/PR person, it may be something to get that individual started on.

 

The Committee discussed various ways to reward those individuals who would help with building the gazebo and the consensus was that the whole issue was a great idea.

 

ADJOURNMENT

 

Town Manager Layton asked if the next meeting should be held in September.  Chris Dewitt stated that a late September meeting could be held.  Town Manager Layton stated that Deputy Town Clerk Kopec would be contacting the Committee with dates for the next meeting.  Charlie Pratt stated he would like to have a meeting no later than September 27, 2005.  Mr. Dewitt stated he would be on vacation that week, so the meeting could be held earlier.  He suggested the week of September 19, 2005.  Town Manager Layton stated that something could be worked out.

 

Chairman Keller asked when the signs would be erected.  Chris Dewitt stated that they would be shipped to him in then next few weeks and he would bring them to the Town office.  Chairman Keller asked the Committee to review the signs and get input from the public about them.

 

There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned.

 

The time was 11:25 a.m.


Return to Municipal Property Master Plan Advisory Committee Meetings Page
Return to Town of Duck HOME PAGE

Last updated October 18, 2005
Further information from
webmaster@townofduck.com