The Town of Duck understands that the use of alternatives to traditional motor vehicles has been a long-standing practice by residents and visitors. Per Town of Duck Ordinance No. 18-04, golf carts are subject to the following regulations to ensure the safety of residents and visitors.
Properly registered low speed vehicles (LSVs) may look like golf carts, but are not regulated by this ordinance. Low speed vehicles meet state and federal vehicle safety standards, are regulated by NC statutes, and must follow all motor vehicle laws. Learn more about the difference in the sidebar.
Golf carts: vehicles designed for operation on a golf course for sporting/recreational purposes and that are not capable of exceeding speeds of 20mph.
- Golf Carts Can :
- Responsibly operate on side streets within the Town. Recommended safety equipment is listed below.
- Cross Duck Road (NC 12) at a right angle for travel to and from the beach, yielding to traditional motor vehicles and pedestrians.
- Be operated by drivers 16 or older.
- Golf Carts Cannot :
- Operate along Duck Road (NC 12).
- Operate on the Duck Trail.
- Use the boardwalk, pathways, sidewalks, bike lanes, or shoulders.
- Be used in a manner that violates the motor vehicle laws of North Carolina.
- Two operating front headlights, visible from a distance of at least 250 feet
- Two operating tail lights, with brake lights and turn signals, visible from a distance of at least 250 feet
- A rear vision mirror
- At least one reflector per side
- A parking brake
- Seat belts for all seating positions on the golf cart
- A windshield
- No more than three rows of seats
- The driver and passengers must be properly seated while the golf cart is in motion, and may not be transported in a negligent manner. The seating capacity, as determined by the number of seats, shall not be exceeded.
- No golf cart may be operated at a speed greater than reasonable and prudent for the existing conditions. No golf cart may be operated at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour.
- No golf cart may be operated in a careless or reckless manner.
- Golf carts must be operated in accordance with all applicable state and local traffic laws and ordinances, including all laws, regulations and ordinances pertaining to the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Golf carts may not be used for the purpose of towing any person or object.
- The possession of open containers of alcohol and/or consumption of alcohol by the driver and/or passengers of a golf cart is prohibited.
- The operator of a golf cart shall yield the right of way to traditional motor vehicles.