Town of Duck Police advise that roadways throughout Duck are beginning to thaw; however, as temperatures drop through the afternoon and evening hours water and slush will freeze creating slick and very dangerous driving conditions. Motorists are urged to use extreme caution, to decrease speeds and to considerably increase following distances. As these conditions develop only essential travel should be attempted.
NCDOT advises motorists to be careful and follow the below safety tips if driving in winter weather:
• Clear windows and mirrors;
• Reduce speed and leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles;
• Approach bridges and overpasses them with extreme caution and do not apply your brakes while on a bridge unless necessary;
• If you begin to slide, take your foot off the gas and turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide. Do not apply the brakes as that will cause further loss of control of the car;
• Come to a complete stop or yield the right of way when approaching an intersection in case any vehicles coming from other directions lose control of their vehicles while trying to stop.
• If you have a cellular phone, take it with you. You can contact the Highway Patrol statewide by calling *HP (*47) or call law enforcement in the event of an emergency by dialing 911.
• Travelers are asked NOT to call 911 or the State Highway Patrol for road conditions. The lines must remain clear for emergency calls.
For real-time travel information at any time, call 511, visit www.ncdot.gov/travel or follow NCDOT on Twitter at www.ncdot.gov/travel/twitter. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a phone-friendly version of the NCDOT website. To access it, type “m.ncdot.gov” into the browser of your smartphone. Then, bookmark it to save for future reference.