Community Development

General Information

The Town of Duck Department of Community Development is responsible for municipal planning activities as well as administration of land use and building regulations. Permits are issued by town staff for the following construction-related activities:

The Department of Community Development also processes commercial development site plan applications, conditional use, and special exception permit applications, as well as zoning text and map amendment applications. We are located at the Town of Duck Administrative Office at 1200 Duck Road. Staff can be contacted at 252-255-1234 , by fax at 252-255-1236, or via e-mail (click on the person’s name for e-mail link).

To reach the Zoning Department, email questions to or you may direct your questions to the following individuals:

Joe Heard: Director of Community Development/AICP – For planning/zoning information or commercial development information.

Sandy Cross: Senior Planner/CAMA LPO/CZO/CFM – For general permitting questions or for information regarding the Town’s Floodplain Management Program or CAMA Minor permits. Click here for more information regarding CAMA permits.  You can also contact Sandy if you are interested in the beach planting volunteer program.

Jim Gould: Community Planner – For general permitting questions.

Steven McMurray: Building Inspector – For questions pertaining to the North Carolina State Building Code.

Melissa Felthousen: Deputy Town Clerk– To schedule inspection and general permitting questions.

Questions related to installation and repair of on-site wastewater (septic) systems, should be directed to the Dare County Health Department. Click here for information. Additionally, most building permits will need to be reviewed by the Dare County Health Department prior to submittal to the Town.

CAMA General and Major Permits are permitted through the Division of Coastal Management in Elizabeth City. Click here for information. These projects typically include docks, piers, bulkheads, or large scale development in the Currituck Sound. If you are unsure whether you need a Major, Minor, or General Permit, please call our office at 252-255-1234 or Click here.

Permit Activity Reports

Updated permit activity will generally be released on a monthly basis. For reports not listed, or additional information regarding the permits listed, please contact us at 252-255-1234 or via e-mail.

2024 Permit Activity Reports