The Town of Duck Department of Community Development is responsible for municipal planning activities as well as administration of land use and building regulations. Permits are issued by town staff for the following construction-related activities:
- Residential and commercial building construction projects.
- Work performed by licensed trade professionals (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing).
- Land disturbing activities including clearing of trees and vegetation, grading, and installation of septic systems, driveways and parking areas, and intensive landscaping projects.
- Projects located in Special Flood Hazard Areas as defined by the National Flood Insurance Program. For more information regarding projects located in SFHAs, please visit our flood protection information page.
- Certain Minor Projects located in Areas of Environmental Concern as defined by the North Carolina Coastal Area Management Act (CAMA)
The Department of Community Development also processes commercial development site plan applications, conditional use, and special exception permit applications, as well as zoning text and map amendment applications. We are located at the Town of Duck Administrative Office at 1200 Duck Road. Staff can be contacted at 252. 255.1234, by fax at 252.255.1236, or via e-mail (click on the person’s name for e-mail link).
Questions should be directed to the following individuals:
Joe Heard: Director of Community Development/AICP – For planning/zoning information or commercial development information.
Sandy Cross: Permit Coordinator/CAMA LPO/CZO/CFM – For general permitting questions or for information regarding the Town’s Floodplain Management Program or CAMA Minor permits. Click here for more information regarding CAMA permits. You can also contact Sandy if you are interested in the beach planting volunteer program.
Steven McMurray: Building Inspector – For questions pertaining to the North Carolina State Building Code.
Kay Nickens: Permit Technician – To schedule inspection and general permitting questions.
Questions related to installation and repair of on-site wastewater (septic) systems, should be directed to the Dare County Health Department. Click here for information. Additionally, most building permits will need to be reviewed by the Dare County Health Department prior to submittal to the Town.
CAMA General and Major Permits are permitted through the Division of Coastal Management in Elizabeth City. Click here for information. These projects typically include docks, piers, bulkheads, or large scale development in the Currituck Sound. If you are unsure whether you need a Major, Minor, or General Permit, please call our office at .252.255.1234 or Click here.
Permit Updates Now Available Online
Updated Permit activity will generally be released on a monthly basis. For reports not listed, or additional information regarding the permits listed, please contact us at 252.255.1234 or via e-mail.
2019 Permit Reports: