DAMAGE ASSESSMENTS AND SERVICE REPAIRS FOLLOWING HURRICANE SANDY
Impacts from soundside flooding overnight were less than anticipated allowing most roads in Dare County to remain open; however, the following roads remain closed due to impacts from ocean overwash:
- Highway 12 on Hatteras Island remains closed.
- The 158 Bypass in Kitty Hawk is closed near Milepost 4; however, all traffic is being rerouted through neighborhoods west of the highway.
- There are areas of Highway 12 (Beach Road) in northern beach towns that remain closed.
Motorists are encouraged to use extreme caution, avoid standing water, and stay out of all barricaded areas. Avoid travel through Bypass in Kitty Hawk, if possible.
All visitors are asked to confirm reservations with their accommodations provider before traveling to the area.
Dare County Emergency Management advises that Dare MedFlight is operational and available for emergency medical evacuations, including Hatteras Island.
Damage assessment teams are in the field today to survey the effects of the storm.
Repair crews are working to correct the following service problems caused by Hurricane Sandy –
- NC Highway 12 on Hatteras Island, south of Oregon Inlet, remains closed due to sand and water on the roadway. NCDOT crews continue to work clearing sand and water and to assess damage to determine work needed to make repairs and reopen roadways.
- Ferry Service from Hatteras to Ocracoke continues to be suspended. Operations will return to normal as soon as NCDOT determines that conditions are safe.
- There is limited cell phone service and disrupted internet access on Hatteras Island due to a damaged fiber cable. CenturyLink, the service provider, has a crew in Rodanthe working to make repairs. Callers are asked, if possible, to dial 9-1-1 from a land line phone to report emergencies.
County offices south of Oregon Inlet are closed today. All County offices north of Oregon Inlet are operating on their regular schedule.
One-stop early voting will be available today as scheduled at the Baum Center in Kill Devil Hills and at the Elections Office in Manteo, but is cancelled at the Fessenden Center in Buxton. For more information about one-stop early voting, call the Dare County Board of Elections Office between 8:30 and 5:00 p.m. at 252-475-5630.
Dare County Public Works has cancelled garbage collection for today (Tuesday, October 30).
Town of Duck
All roads throughout the Town of Duck are open and passable, including Duck Road (NC 12). The Town of Duck recommends avoiding the beach today due to storm debris and potential unseen safety hazards. Updates will be posted on the Town’s website at www.townofduck.com.
Town of Nags Head
Building inspections in Nags Head will be closed until Thursday, November 1 at 8:30 am.
Town of Kitty Hawk
All lanes of Highway 158 in Kitty Hawk at milepost 4 are closed due to flooding. Traffic is currently being rerouted on a detour through neighborhoods west of Highway 158.
All of NC Highway 12 and streets between Highway 12 and Highway 158 remain closed due to flood waters. Pedestrians are advised to stay away from the area so that clean-up operations can continue. In addition, there could also be dangerous debris and active power lines.
The Town is coordinating with NCDOT to begin pumping operations east of Highway 158. As the debris is cleared, pumping operations should commence.
Commercial trash collection is scheduled for Wednesday and residential collection is scheduled for Thursday.
The next scheduled update will be available at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 30. The Dare County Emergency Operations Center may be reached at 252-475-5655. Visit www.darenc.com for updated information.