Several vehicle break-ins have been reported in Dare County. Although there is no way to 100% deter vehicle break-ins, you can take precautionary steps to make your vehicle a much less appealing target. The majority of reported vehicle break-ins are from vehicles that were left unlocked.
- Always roll up windows completely and lock your doors while your vehicle is unattended
- Keep valuables out of sight if you must leave them in the car
- Remove valuables from your vehicle
- Park in well-lit areas
- Park close to other people or where there is plenty of vehicle and pedestrian traffic
- Activate your security alarm if you have one
- Report any suspicious activity immediately by calling 9-1-1