RESIDENTIAL RECYCLING for the Town of Duck is provided for by Tidewater Fibre Corporation utilizing leased BLUE containers. COMMERCIAL RECYCLING for the Town of Duck is provided for by Waste Management.
RESIDENTIAL CURBSIDE RECYCLING PICKUP
Collection days are as follows:
- Curbside recycling will be collected every Monday from May 1st through October 31st;
- November 1st through April 30th recycling will be collected on the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month.
- Additional collection days: November 26th and December 31st.
NOTE: The schedule does NOT change when scheduled collections occur on public holidays. The collection schedule is maintained 364 days per year, except for December 25th, and/or unless the Town is informed otherwise.
Items to remember:
- Place your recycling container at the curb facing the street no later than 5:00 a.m. on pick-up day.
- Position your recycling container with the opening towards the street, within three (3) feet of the road.
- A three to four (3-4) foot clearance should be maintained between containers.
- Please pour or wipe out contents of cans and bottles before recycling.
- Please break down any boxes.
- Place recyclable materials loosely in your recycling container.
- Do not leave recyclable materials outside of the recycling container, or they will not be collected.
- Once recycling has been collected, the recycling container must be relocated from the street to under or alongside the house no later than 12:00 midnight on the day of collection.
COMMERCIAL RECYCLING CONTAINER PICKUP
As part of a pilot program, commercial recycling is currently being collected year-round on Wednesdays ONLY. It is being collected at:
- Scarborough Lane
- Scarborough Faire
- Village Square
- Waterfront Shops
- Sunset Grille
Items to remember:
- It is extremely important to collapse all cardboard boxes! Tossing empty boxes into the dumpster can take up a lot of extra space.
- Please ensure that collection equipment has access to the container(s).
If your recycling container was missed on your regular collection day, you should contact the Town Office immediately at (252) 255-1234. Reports of missed collections must be received the same service day by 10:00 a.m. or service may not be available until the next scheduled recycling pick-up.
To request a new or extra recycling container, or to report lost or damaged cans you should contact the Town Office at (252) 255-1234 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Recycling saves natural resources, reduces litter, and provides employment opportunities.
- Recycling one glass bottle will save enough energy to light a lamp for four hours.
- Making aluminum cans from recycled cans cuts air pollution by 95%.
- Recycling one ton of steel saves three to four (3-4) barrels of oil.
- Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles per hour.
- Printing the Sunday edition of the New York Times on recycled paper saves 75,000 trees.
- One gallon of motor oil can pollute one million gallons of water.
ITEMS THAT ARE NOT RECYCLABLE
- Bags of garbage
- Plastic bags
- Styrofoam peanuts, blocks, and boxes
- Food containers – such as pizza boxes and “to go” containers
- Automotive, poison, or pesticide containers.
- Yard waste – leaves, grass clippings, branches, wood, etc.
- Overstuffed Cans
To view the Town’s recycling brochure, click here.