Semi-Annual Bulk Waste Collection
The Town of Duck schedules two (2) bulk waste collections each year. One in the spring and one in the fall. Collections are provided by Waste Management, Inc.
The next scheduled bulk waste collection will be:
Friday, April 1, 2016
Items should be ready for pick-up no later than 5:00 a.m. on the scheduled bulk waste collection day.
Bulk waste can include all large items including televisions, mattresses and yard/vegetative debris. Yard and vegetative debris must be bagged or tied in bundles of four (4) foot lengths or less with each bundle weighing no more than 50 pounds. Otherwise, it will not be picked up.
These materials will NOT be collected:
- refrigerators or appliances that contain hazardous waste (refrigerant/Freon)
- hazardous materials such as paints, solvents, chemicals, etc. (dry out paint and place in regular trash)
- building materials or demolition debris
- roofing, soil, rocks, concrete, and stumps
Drop Off Permits for Bulk Waste Throughout The Year
Residents and property owners within the Town of Duck may now obtain a Bulk Waste Permit necessary to dispose of bulk items at the bulk waste dumpster at the Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Center located at 4190 Bob Perry Road in Kitty Hawk. This pilot program was approved in coordination with the Town of Kitty Hawk and the Town of Southern Shores in order to provide Duck residents and property owners with a way to deal with bulk waste outside the twice-a-year bulk waste pick-up offered by the Town of Duck and without having to transport items to the Dare County Landfill in Manns Harbor.
Items must be self-generated, i.e. not contractor-generated, and may include furniture, scrap lumber, siding, dry wall, junk, glass, carpets, etc. but not vegetative debris.
Items NOT Accepted at the Kitty Hawk Recycling Center:
- Brush, Leaves & Lawn Clippings: Must be taken to the Dare Co. Public Works facility in Manteo or burned
- Chemicals: Contact manufacturer
- Commercial Debris: Must be taken to the Dare Co. Landfill in Manns Harbor
- Hazardous Materials
- Hot Tubs & Covers: Must be taken to the Dare Co. landfill
- Mattresses: Must be taken to the Dare Co. landfill
- Paint: Dry out and dispose in regular household garbage
- Regular Household Garbage
- Styrofoam: Dispose in regular household garbage
You Do NOT Need a Bulk Waste Permit for the Following Acceptable Items:
- Brown, clear, and green glass containers (no other type glasses)
- #1 and # 2 plastic containers (no other type plastics such as bags, lawn chairs, etc.)
- Aluminum cans
- Steel cans
- Paper (includes mixed paper, newspaper, envelopes, magazines, six-pack bottle holders, etc.)
- Cardboard (broken down/flattened and dry)
- Appliances (Freon does not need to be removed – they will take care of it)
- Any metal items
- Electronics – not including tube televisions
Residents and property owners wishing to use this service must first obtain a permit at the Duck Town Hall confirming that they are residents or property owners in Duck. There is no charge for this permit and each issued permit is good for one trip and up to one-half pick-up truck load of bulk waste. The center is open 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. until Noon. For more information, or to request a Bulk Waste Permit, call 252.255.1234.
Schedule a Bulk Waste Special Pick-up with Waste Management
Call Waste Management to schedule a regular Bulk Waste pick-up at 855.964.2845. There is a $100 fee for the first item, and $25 for each additional item.