The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), through the North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program, released new flood insurance rate maps for Dare County, including the Town of Duck, on September 20, 2006. The new maps have affected many property owners in terms of building new homes or additions in flood zones and may affect flood insurance rates.
FEMA regulations apply to all man-made activities in flood zones, from construction of buildings, pools, and fences to installation of driveways and patios. A large portion of development in Duck is impacted by these FEMA rules. A floodplain development permit is required for all development activities in flood zones to ensure compliance and to allow the Town of Duck to continue to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP makes limited federally backed flood insurance available for all buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not.
Owners of property affected by flood map revisions should be aware of the NFIP’s “Grandfather Rules” (see Quick Reference link) under which flood insurance premiums for many properties can be determined based on the flood map in effect when a home was built, even though a new map places it in a higher risk flood zone. Owners should ask their insurance agents to look for the lowest cost option when rating their property since the adoption of the new flood maps.
Paper copies of the complete set of official maps for Duck are also available in the Town offices.
For your reference, the Town has prepared a detailed brochure covering the following flood-related topics of interest:
- A description of the local flood hazard and common sources of flooding in Duck
- Floodplain regulations and insurance requirements
- Property protection measures to reduce the risk of flood
- Permitting requirements for development in a floodplain
- Substantial Improvement requirements (when grandfathering may no longer apply)
- Flood safety tips and storm preparation procedures
- FEMA Fact Sheet for Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012
- Quick Reference for Flood Insurance Policy Holders
- North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program
- National Flood Insurance Program Information Specific to North Carolina
- Town of Duck Floodplain Map (unofficial)
- Floodplain Mapping (Maps produced by FEMA)