Town of Duck, North Carolina
Position Announcement: Chief of Police
The vibrant coastal Town of Duck, North Carolina, is seeking a dedicated law enforcement professional who can inspire the confidence of the community and provide stellar leadership to a department of eight sworn police officers and one civilian, as a working Chief of Police. The successful candidate will be familiar with the challenges of policing in a resort environment and fundamentals of community policing and proactive problem-solving policing strategies to prevent crime, foster positive relations with stakeholders, and deliver first class police services to the citizens and visitors of Duck.
Guided by a 2022 Vision, the Town of Duck is a popular resort destination located on the northern Outer Banks of North Carolina. The Town has a small year round population; however, during the summer months that population swells beyond 20,000 people. The Town of Duck is a sound to sea community that offers its residents and visitors with outdoor recreational activities, summer events, watersports, fine dining, and world class shopping. The Town of Duck is highlighted by an 11 acre sound side park that includes nearly a mile long boardwalk and numerous recreational amenities.
The Police Chief, who reports directly to the Town Manager, must possess:
- Demonstrated competencies in effective leadership and building strong relationships within the community and the agency, and the ability to inspire confidence as a representative of the police department and the Town.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and a demonstrated capacity to be visible within the department and in the community.
- A passionate commitment to community policing and problem-solving policing using current strategies, systems, and technologies to optimize the delivery of police services to the community.
- Exceptional organizational and management skills, including the ability to develop and maintain a strong leadership team.
- A track record of successfully implementing and maintaining professional standards that result in departmental efficiency, integrity, and public confidence.
- Experience in identifying and successfully implementing new programs, policies, and procedures.
- Experience in annual budget and capital improvements program preparation and monitoring.
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Police Science, or Administration supplemented by advanced courses in Police Administration and considerable experience of a progressive responsible nature in law enforcement, including supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Applicant must hold certification as a sworn law enforcement officer as issued by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Commission or be able to obtain such certification within twelve months of hire. For consideration submit a Town Employment Application and resume to Christopher J. Layton, Town Manager, P.O. Box 8369, Duck, NC 27949 or in person at the Duck Municipal Offices. Emailed applications and resumes will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. Town Employment Applications and a position description are available at the Town of Duck Municipal Offices, 1200 Duck Road, at the Town’s web site at www.townofduck.com or by calling 252-255-1234 and requesting an application. Closing date Monday, March 16, 2015, at 2:00 p.m. EO/AA.