Duck Trail Usage and Safety
The Duck Trail is a six-mile long, multi-use path that traverses the entire length of town. The trail is primarily located on the east side of Duck Road (ocean side). Through the commercial Village of Duck, located between Four Seasons Lane and the Duck Post Office, the trail continues on both sides of Duck Road (NC 12) as part of the wide shoulder. For safety, pedestrians are urged to use crosswalks. The Duck Boardwalk, which has access points to easily get on and off throughout the Village, is another safe walking route.
Pedestrians, bicyclists, and in-line skaters share the Duck Trail. Motorized vehicles such as golf carts, mopeds and Segways are prohibited on the trail.
Please Observe The Following Safety Guidelines:
While Using The Trail:
- Use marked crosswalks.
- Pedestrians always have the right-of-way. but stay alert for vehicles.
- Watch for cars entering and exiting from Duck Road (NC 12), side streets, and parking areas.
- Markers for each half-mile are located on the trail.
- Pedestrians should slow down when being passed.
- Cyclists should always pass on the left and alert those who are being passed.
- Clean up after your pet as a courtesy to trail users.
- Dogs must be on a leash.
- Follow all posted rules.
While Using The Trail In The Village:
The Village Commercial area is located between Four Seasons Lane and the Duck Post Office. In this area, the Duck Trail is located on both sides of the road and is not separated from traffic. In addition to guidelines above, for your safety:
- Pedestrians should walk facing oncoming traffic.
- Cyclists should ride with traffic.
- Be extra careful in the Village when walking or bicycling, especially with small children.
- Wear bright clothing and use lights at night.
- Consider walking on the boardwalk, a safe and scenic way to traverse the Village.
While Driving In Duck, Please Remember:
- Pedestrians ALWAYS have the right-of way!
- When entering and exiting from Duck Road (NC 12) onto side streets or entrance ways, be aware that you are crossing Duck Trail. Look both to your left and right and use caution.
- Please obey all posted speed limits and signage throughout town. The speed limit in the commercial Village area is 25 MPH.